Do you ever get tired of the same recipes using chicken and want to try something different?
Enter Psole. A slightly spicy soup which uses hominy and tomatoes as its base. This soup is easy to throw together and can make you a star at the dinner table.
Serve with cheese, sour cream, avocado and cilantro as toppings. Yum!
[Tweet "Shhh, Psole is even better the next day as the flavors meld together."]
My mom would often serve psole at our New Year's Eve party, but it is so good that I have the need to make it much more frequently. [Tweet "Psole. Once you taste it, you will be craving it too! "]
This recipe as written serves about 8 and if you need to feed a crowd, it is easy to double. The leftovers freeze well (if there are any left!), though you may need to add some more broth when you thaw the soup.
Want to know a secret? Cooking psole in the crock pot makes your life a breeze.
How does the cost break down?
All the ingredients for a double recipe will come to $8.29, which will easily serve 16 at a cost of $0.52/serving. Let's round up to a $0.75 per serving to include the price of the added toppings. This cost is based on using homemade broth and local prices.
Your budget and your stomach will thank you.
So whether you need a quick meal to pull together on a busy night or you have a house full of people to impress, Psole needs to be your next go-to meal.
PsoleRecipe Type: SoupCuisine: MexicanAuthor: Charissa Quade @cookwithashoe.comPrep time:
Serves: 8 servingsSlightly, spicy soup which uses hominy and tomatoes as its base.Ingredients
- 2 TBS of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 head of garlic, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2-3 tsp cumin
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 10# can hominy (use 1/2 can and freeze the rest)
- 8-16 oz salsa (homemade salsa is delicious!)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch cilantro
- cheese for topping
- sour cream for topping
- Saute celery, onion, and garlic together in oil in a large pot along with cumin and spices until soft.
- Drain hominy, add 1/2 the can to the pot.
- Add diced tomatoes, chicken broth and salsa to the soup.
- Simmer for a couple of hours to get the best flavor.
- Just before serving, chop up the cilantro and add to the soup.
- Top with cheese, sour cream, avocado, and more cilantro.
NotesPsole is extremely user friendly. You can add or decrease the spiciness to your liking as well as changing the amount of how much you can make.[br]This soup works wonderfully in the crock pot. Saute the onion, celery, and garlic first and then dump everything into the crock pot and set it on low all day.[br]In a hurry? You can serve once the soup is hot.[br]Don't like chicken? You can use chunks of ham or leftover turkey too.3.3.3077